Islam means peace and complete submission and obedience to Allah (God). There are 99 attributes to the name of Allah. The name Allah alone cannot be translated literally but below are some of His well know names:
- Ar-Rahmaan The Most Kind
- Ar-Raheem The Most Merciful
- Al-Malik The Owner
- Al-Khaaliq The Creator
- Ar-Razzaaq The Provider
- Al-Ghaffar The Ever Forgiving
What do Muslims believe about Allah?
1. The one and only God, who has no partner.
2. Nothing is like Him. He is the Creator, not created, nor a part of His creation.
3. He is All-Powerful, absolutely Just.
4. There is no other entity in the entire universe worthy of worship besides Him.
5. He is First, Last, and Everlasting; He was when nothing else existed, and will be when nothing else remains.
6. He is the All-Knowing, and All-Merciful,the Supreme, the Sovereign.
7. It is only He Who is capable of granting life to anything.
8. He sent His Messengers Adam, Ibraheem (Abraham), Musa (Moses), Eesa (Jesus), Muhammad (peace be upon them all) to guide all of mankind.
9. He sent Muhammad (pbuh) as the last Prophet and Messenger for all mankind.
10. His words and commands is the Holy Qur’an, the only authentic revealed book in the world that has been kept without change.
11. Allah knows what is in our hearts.
Some of the basic guidelines Muslims follow in their knowledge of Allah:
Eliminate any anthropomorphism (human qualities) from their conception of Allah. His attributes are not like human attributes,despite similar labels or appellations.
Have unwavering faith in exactly what Allah and Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) described Allah to be, no more, no less.
Believe totally in all the names and attributes of Allah; one cannot believe in some and disbelieve the others.
One cannot accept the names of Allah without their associated attributes, i.e. one cannot say He is Al-Hayy – ‘The Living’ and then say that He is without life.
Similarity in names (or meanings) does not imply similarity in what is being described (referents). As a robotic arm differs from a human arm, so the “hand” of Allah is nothing like a human hand, His speech is nothing like human speech, etc.
Certain words are ambiguous or vague in their meanings, and thus may be susceptible to misinterpretation. Only those meanings that are in accordance with what is specified by Allah and His Prophet (pbuh) are acceptable.